The Department of Justice and Equality have provided funding to Clare Local Development Company under the Traveller and Roma Inclusion Strategy 2017-2021, to deliver a Roma Inclusion Project in Co. Clare 2018- 2020.
The aim of the project is to support the Roma Community in the following areas:
• Improvements in overall English literacy for the Roma Community
• Greater integration of Roma in community activities in Co. Clare
• Stronger intercultural ties between Roma and the wider community in Co. Clare
• Increased health, wellbeing, employability and integration of the Roma Community in Co. Clare
The Co. Clare Roma Inclusion Project works with Roma families living in the Ennis and Kilrush area.
Speaking English is actively encouraged throughout all activities.
Examples of programmes which have taken place since the project began in April 2018 are:
- Art Classes for parents and kids.
- Zumba classes for women.
- A trip to Fota Island Cork for 20 Roma Families.
- Intercultural community events were organised with Roma music and food for families to come together.
- Christmas community event at The Planet Activity Centre in Ennis.
- Lampshade and jewellery making workshops in partnership with Ennis Community College.
- Crochet and knitting classes are starting in Kilrush for Roma and other new communities.
Roma Inclusion Project News
LTI Awardsread more
Roma Dayread more
The community initiative LEADER for Biodiversity has been launched for Co Clare and 15 communities have been selected. For further details or to put your community on the list for the next training programme please contact CLDC on...read more
Crochet Classes in Kilrushread more
#LEADERforEnterprise Training Programme Launched New and Existing businesses that meet the criteria can apply for LEADER grant aid of 50% of capital expenditure, up to a maximum of €50,000. Up to €30,000 is also available for feasibility studies at 75%...read more
Clare Local Development Company are offering individuals who are long term unemployed and in receipt of a Social Welfare payment the opportunity to upskill and increase their chances of gaining employment with the following programmes. HACCP (Food Hygiene) Safe Pass...read more
These practical courses offer a QQI Level 3 – 4 or 5 qualification and vary in duration from 8 to 11 months. To qualify Participants must be in receipt of a Social Protection payment. Priority will be given to people aged between 18 and 35. Priority will be given to...read more